Thursday, April 9, 2009

Three contemporary icons for me are David Letterman, Stephen King and Anne Rice.

I have watched and kept track of David Letterman for years. I enjoy his humor and enjoyed being a part of the audience on his show back in June 1999. He makes fun of himself, others in a way that makes you think, and I do not see how anyone could take offence in the way that he does it. He has been around for a long time on TV and his late night counterpart is Jay Leno, who hosts the tonight show on NBC. David Letterman owns his own company Worldwide Pants. His company’s short name is Pants. The company has many different items that you can purchase online or at the CBS Store in New York City.

Stephen King is a writer of awesome horror books. I own just about all of them, have not read all of them, but I do own most of them. Stephen King has appeared in almost all of his made for TV movies; they are small parts, however, if you watch closely you will see him. He is married to author Tabitha King, have three children and live in the state of Maine. Most of his books are horror based. He has also turned his books into movies for both the big screen and TV. He has been able to make his chosen career into a comfortable means of support.

Anne Rice is a writer of horror books the most popular are her books on the Vampire Lestat and vampires in general. She has also written under a pseudo name and these books are more erotic in nature. Her books on vampires are an easy read and are the ones that I like the most. She lives in New Orleans.

For me these three people are what come to mind when I am asked about talk show hosts and authors. I love to read books and even listen to audio books. My favorite topic is vampires and just the genre of horror in general. As for the talk show host, Letterman for me has great presence and his sense of humor comes across when he does his monologues and interviews. He has made a comfortable living for himself in his chosen line of work as has authors King and Rice. My sisters share my love of reading which we learned from our parents. We even all agree on Stephen King being the best horror writer out there.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you actually got to go on David Lettermans set? I bet that was neat, especially being that you are a fan. I like him as well, especially his top 10. However, I must disagree I could find how some of the things he says are taken offensive. If you are apart or can relate to the person or thing that he is discussing then I could see how it could be taken out of context. It all comes down to the context of the joke. Is it a way he really feels but saying it in a joking way to get it across? Or is he really joking.

    Stephen King is a brilliant movie writer. I like his movies but I wont watch them alone. Too SCARY. Do you think that his movies are better than his books or do you think that his books are better than his movies? I always find the book to be better. I guess because it has more detail, but then I compare through out the movie like that didnt happen in the book or they left that part out.

    As for Anne Rice, why do you think that authors write under a psudeo name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice of icons, I am a Letterman Fan, also was able to see the show in person once, he is approaching Johnny Carson's status of Late Night Host Icon.

    Your other two choices are interesting, King beng an icon, Anne Rice was great but she has changed her style quite a lot lately. I would have liked to see a little more about their iconic status for you.

    ReplyDelete